Vincennes University Student Government Association President Bailey Petty discusses her experiences as graduation draws nearer

The Spring 2018 semester is coming to a close, and Vincennes University’s graduation ceremony is just around the corner. Family, friends and community members alike will gather in the PE Complex on April 28 to witness this year’s graduates walk across the stage and receive their diplomas.

Bailey Petty, Alexandria, homeland security and public safety, is graduating after attending VU for five years.

Petty was very involved during her time at VU: she was involved with the Campus Activities Board during her first year, was a member of Beta Xi Omega Sorority for five years and was the president of it for three years, and was the president of the Student Government Association during the 2017-2018 school year.

Looking back at her experiences, Petty said that one of the most memorable moments of her time at VU was traveling to New York City for an SGA conference.

On the flipside, Petty experienced some struggles to get to where she is now.

“The biggest struggle that I have gone through during my time here at VU would be not knowing what I wanted to do,” Petty mentioned. She changed her major six times before deciding on the major she is soon to complete.

For students who are unsure or not confident about what they want to major in, Petty recommends going into general studies. Petty also mentioned that she thinks VU’s web page is a great tool for those considering changing their major, as it was very helpful for her in deciding what major to choose.

Petty already is making goals for post-graduation.

“After graduation, I hope to find a local job around this area to gain experience,” Petty said. She hopes that after working at the state level, she will be able to work for the Drug Enforcement Association.

Like many students preparing to graduate, Petty does have some worries going into this new season of life. With working very hard in her studies and extracurricular activities while maintaining several jobs at a time, Petty was almost always kept very busy.

“I am worried because once I graduate, I will have a lot of free time on my hands and it is going to be very hard to adapt to that,” Petty said.

Despite the struggles and fears Petty has experienced, with everything summed up she would describe her time at VU as “rewarding.”

“Joining Beta Xi Omega Sorority my very first semester taught me that I had leadership qualities,” Petty reflects on her experiences. “Being president of the Student Government Association was very rewarding because I was able to utilize those leadership qualities.”

COMMENCEMENT DAY – SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

9:00 a.m. – Honors Convocation – Red Skelton Performing Arts Center (no tickets needed)

12:30 p.m. – Doors open to PE Complex – Admittance by TICKET ONLY

1:00 p.m. – Students report to the Student Recreation Center (1600 Short Street) for line-up

2:00 p.m. – Commencement ceremony begins