The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

A decade of dedication and support 

Student Success Center celebrates 10-year anniversary
Emma Culver
The Student Success Center, located in the Shake Learning Resource Center, celebrated its 10th anniversary this week. The Student Success Center helps students with advising, among many other services.

The Student Success Center marked a significant milestone this week, celebrating its 10th anniversary.

Walking into the Student Success Center on Tuesday, guests were greeted by an immediate sense of positivity. The space was decorated with bright yellow and blue balloons – the university’s colors – strung from the pillars as well as tables full of delicious-looking cupcakes and cookies made by culinary students here at Vincennes University.

The Student Success Center, located in the Shake Learning Resource Center, first opened its doors in 2014 and has continued to grow in the years since, striving to enhance support for both students and staff.

When reflecting on its beginnings, Gaye Walthall, director of the Student Success Center, said it was initially located on the third floor of Davis Hall, with borrowed furniture. However, with a collective vision, the center now has its own dedicated facility.

With a dedication to academic success, the Student Success Center offers a variety of support, such as academic advising for students and faculty, participation in START VU days, coordination of strategies for students facing academic probation, and making referrals to on-campus services.

“We want to always be a welcoming environment for students, and always find the answer for them,” Walthall said.

Even during the summer, the success center remains active by reaching out to students to confirm their majors, assess testing needs, and engage in conversations to guide them academically.

Looking ahead, Walthall said, “We are looking for another group to support and we’re gathering data to figure out who would be the best to do that for.”

The Student Success Center accepts walk-ins from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Students can also email the student center at [email protected] to make an appointment.