The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

Destress with sensory rooms

Jenny McNeece
VU student and Trailblazer Emma Culver plays with hanging beads inside the stimulating sensory room at the Shake Learning Resource Center. Both it and a contrasting calming room are both available for students to use for an hour at a time.

College life can often be overwhelming, but Vincennes University has a way to help students deal with the stress.

Two sensory rooms are located in the Shake Learning Resource Center and are available to students any time the library is open. Students can reserve – or ‘check out’ – one of the rooms by going to the front desk. Students are allowed to use the space for an hour at a time. 

Director of Diverse Abilities and Accommodations Jill Steele said, “Most people think of sensory rooms as being specific to a diverse ability, but they are not.”

Steele said the rooms offer different sensory experiences; one room is more stimulating and the other provides a much calmer atmosphere. 

Decorated with very bright and vibrant colors, the stimulating room features items that make noise and give students an opportunity to engage in various sensory activities. 

The calming room is the exact opposite, being “color neutral” in hues of blue and beige and a beach theme and with lots of “soft textures.” The room also features weighted blankets and bean bag chairs in which students can relax.

Both rooms also offer a sound device, with one featuring calming music and the one other providing various stimulating sounds of the students’ choosing.

Steele said, “Everybody gets stressed. Everybody has days where they either just need to get extra energy out, or where they just need to zen and chill out.”