The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

VU preparing for Solar Eclipse

Several events planned as big day nears

Vincennes University will host a handful of events leading up to the total Solar Eclipse on April 8.

Dean of Science, Engineering, & Mathematics Curtis Coffman said, “Our goal is that no one wakes up on April 8 and says, “I did not know this was happening.”

The lineup of events, Coffman said, “are meant to be opportunities for students to learn about the eclipse since it can be considered a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

Among those events are a screening of the film, “Totality: An American Eclipse,” which will be part of the Humanities Film and Lecture Series. That has been set for   from 6 to 8 p.m. on March 14. There will also be a panel discussion to follow; a location is yet to be decided and will be announced later.

Then at 1:30 p.m. on March 15 at Shake Learning Resource Center in Room 112, photography professor Chris Schneberger will teach students how to photograph the Solar Eclipse. Held in conjunction with PreVu Day, families visiting campus are also invited to attend.

Finally, at 11 a.m. on March 21 at Updike Hall Room 142, math professor Nancy Riggs will give a lecture on how to predict Solar Eclipses.

Coffman strongly encourages students to take advantage of these opportunities.

Free eclipse glasses will be handed out to students the week of the event. Coffman said they will announce that week where to pick up the glasses, but most likely they will be handed out at places like the housing office and student activities center.

Also, on the day of the Solar Eclipse, all classes are set to be done at noon so students can avoid any traffic.

Coffman said public viewing will also be available at the VU track and field and at Kimmel Park, but for pedestrians only.

He also stressed that he is working closely with the VU Police Department to ensure everyone’s safety during the Solar Eclipse.

“Even if it is cloudy that day, do not stay inside,” Coffman said excitedly. “Be outside; it will still be an extraordinary time.”