The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

Remembering a legend

Students, faculty gather to honor MLK with candlelit walk
Amber Taylor
Pictures like this one were posted along the walls of Vincennes University’s Rec Center at Thursday morning’s MLK Walk.

Vincennes University held an MLK Memorial Walk last week to honor the life of the most prominent leader in the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King Jr.

As soon as you walked into the Rec Center on Jan. 18, battery-operated candles were handed out with smiles and warm greetings from coordinators.

The event drew a diverse crowd, including students, faculty and local media outlets, too.

The walk started with the national anthem, played by the VU band. Then

Students at Vincennes University’s MLK Walk event on Thursday morning finish their mile walk around
the Rec Center to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (Amber Taylor )
Vincennes University students Sam (left), Greg (middle), and Isaac (right), pose for a picture at Thursday morning’s MLK Walk, held at the Rec Center.

Heidi Tasa, dean of global diversity, and Demy Jones, leader of the Legacy Club, presented impactful speeches about the importance of the contributions Martin Luther King Jr. made to the world.

Jones said, “I wanted to speak at this event to pay tribute to someone I have always looked up to.”

Following the speeches,, the lights were dimmed, the candles glowed, and participants were asked to walk a lap on the track and listen to MLK’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech being played on the speakers.

After the lap, the lights were turned on, and other activities were offered to participants, such as a bingo card and a heartwarming message board in which people wrote their future dreams. Voucher coupons of $20 were also handed out to students that could be used at the cafe here on campus.

Tasa said, “If students or staff could not make it to this event, there will be plenty more following February for Black History Month.”