The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

Vincennes University recognized as an Aspen Prize Top 150 U.S. Community College

Vincennes University this week announced that it has once again been recognized as an Aspen Prize Top 150 U.S. Community College.

VU is the only Indiana institution to be included in this year’s award process, according to a press release issued by the university.

With this distinction, VU has been granted the opportunity to compete for the 2025 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence and $1 million in shared prize funds. Awarded by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program, the $1 million Aspen Prize aims to “elevate the community college sector and draw attention to what exemplary colleges can do to promote economic mobility for students and talent development for communities,” the release states.

Only 15% of junior colleges and community colleges are chosen for the opportunity to apply for this honor. The selective process “underscores VU’s commitment to achieving high and equitable student outcomes,” the release states.

VU President Dr. Chuck Johnson said, “We have witnessed remarkable improvements in graduation rates, academic performance, and student satisfaction.

“This announcement by the Aspen Institute is a testament to the Board of Trustees’ commitment to the University’s ongoing pursuit of excellence in higher education and a recognition of the transformative impact our outstanding faculty and staff have on the lives of our students.”

Through “innovative programs, a student-centric approach, and an enduring commitment to improving student success outcomes, VU has continued to see improvements in student success across all populations of students,” the release states.

This marks the second time since 2019 that VU has been eligible to participate in this biennial award process. The recognition highlights VU’s mission of providing high-quality and affordable education while cultivating a supportive environment for student success, according to university officials.

VU Provost Dr. Laura Treanor said, “Our mission is to offer the highest quality instructional environment possible. Our dedicated faculty and staff have a laser-sharp focus on creating environments that foster student growth, engagement, and achievement, and I am delighted that our work is being acknowledged with this prestigious recognition.”