The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

Students swim into fall season with reopening of indoor pool

Students enjoy a bit of pool time as the indoor pool reopened last week following repairs.

As the cooler fall season approaches, students at Vincennes University may be trying to find ways to stay occupied and active. 

What better way than the indoor campus pool?

Students buzzed with excitement last week as news spread that the pool, after being closed, had officially reopened on Sept. 11.

From splashing to climbing the rock wall and even enjoying the warm, soothing comforts of the whirlpool, students immediately took to rediscovering the facility.

Some played a couple of rounds of pool volleyball, while others tried their hand at diving, too.

According to campus architect Andrew Young, “The pool was down because the main pool pump had to be replaced.”

The pump, he said, had succumbed to simple wear and tear.

It took a few months to secure the necessary parts, so the pool was closed for the majority of the summer. 

News of its reopening spread quickly, however, with students looking for a way to cool off during the lingering heat of summer. 

Yet even as fall approaches, since the pool has both indoor and outdoor elements, students can still enjoy it for months to come.

The campus pool is located in the aquatic center of the Jefferson Student Union. 

Its hours are 5-10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and noon to 10 p.m. on Sunday.

University officials are also on the hunt for certified life guards to help staff it.

Those interested can contact Michael Taylor, facilities coordinator, at [email protected].