The Trailblazer

The Student News Publication of Vincennes University

The Trailblazer

The Trailblazer

BREAKING NEWS: VU to be closed on Monday, president says

Vincennes University will be closed all day Monday for the Solar Eclipse, the president announced on Wednesday.

The closure, a change from the university’s announcement in October that classes would be held until noon on April 8, includes all classes and offices at all VU locations.

VU President Dr. Chuck Johnson said in an email sent out Wednesday morning that they have been “continually (monitoring) the situation, given the many factors that could impact that day.” Recently, Gov. Eric Holcomb signed an executive order declaring a state of emergency in anticipation of the influx of eclipse watchers and the potential impact on emergency services.

In addition, though there is still significant variation in forecasts, weather conditions in Indiana appear to provide at least some potential for visibility during the period of totality, increasing the likelihood that traffic will be heavy, Johnson’s email states.

“Though we will not be officially open during the day, except for essential operations, including residence halls and dining, all faculty, staff, and students are still encouraged to participate in the many VU activities leading up to the eclipse,” Johnson said in the email.

“We are excited and pleased to support this generational experience for the VU community and the communities we serve.”