Campus resident finds comfort in emotional support feline

Tilt is her name. She is a 1-month-old cat who is currently living on campus with Becky Davison,19, Brownstown, Indiana, Culinary Arts. Davison got a chance to share a little bit about who she is, and why Tilt is here. Tilt can be described as an emotional support pet who is used to help students like Davison with depression and anxiety.

Davison talked about how she’s been dealing with the effects of depression and anxiety for the past three years, and for all of that time Tilt has been there to keep her company and be a source of emotional support on and off campus. Tilt is a well- mannered cat who is a mixture of black, brown and white fur. According to Davison Tilt does a pretty good job at making residents feel comfortable and even calming them. An emotional support pet actually seems to come in handy even for people who do not struggle with depression and anxiety.

Davison was able to explain just how Tilt is a big help to her. She explained how sometimes her roommate isn’t always around and it’s good to have a pet who is there to be a companion that takes away some of the loneliness that is left in the room. Davison said that it took two long months before Tilt was able to live in the dorm with her. Some processes may be longer or shorter depending on vet clearance and doctor statements that state whether the student benefits from having a pet while away at school.

While Davison struggles with depression and anxiety, Tilt has a struggle as well. One may not be able to tell at first glance, but Tilt is deaf.

Davison said she knew right away just by the way Tilt nods her head and doesn’t respond after being called. This can sometimes be frustrating, but for the most part Davison is used to it.

“Sometimes it’s hard to yell at her when she’s doing something bad, you have to push her away from what she’s doing,” Davison said.

According to Davison school would be different without Tilt because she wouldn’t have a happy and loving pet waiting on her after class. Overall, Davison enjoys Tilt’s company.

“She’s really sweet and loving. Just like every other animal. She gets grouchy when she’s bothered or woken up,” Davison said.

Tilt is still an animal who needs care and can be a big responsibility when having to make sure everything is safe for suitemates and Tilt. Grooming and cleaning can also be a big task. Davison and her roommate do their best to take care of Tilt and prevent triggering allergies.

Students are excited to see Tilt and learn more about how she helps with the emotional side of things.