Dining center service times spark discussion

The Tecumseh Dining Center (TDC) hours seem to be a popular topic of debate among VU students on campus. While some students are on the fence about their stance on how the TDC hours work for their schedule, most seem to be on either one side or the other.

From Monday to Friday, TDC hours for breakfast are 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., lunch hours are 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner is served from 4:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, brunch is served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner is served from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., according to the VU website.

Most students seem to agree on what they think about the hours fitting in with their class schedule. In an informal survey taken by the Trailblazer of 100 students, 70 percent of students said that the TDC hours work for their schedule.

”Honestly, they’re really good for me. The way my classes are scheduled, they are always out, or right around the time I get out,” said Quinten Rose, a VU student from Newburgh, Indiana.

While some of these students stated that some days of the week present a problem for them, overall they said that the TDC hours were fine.

The other 30 percent of students were opposed to the TDC hours. Some of the students who were opposed to the TDC hours played sports, and said that they had to eat early in order to have time.

“”They need to be [open] longer,” said Brandon Holcomb, a criminal justice major from Chicago, Illinois.

A few of the students who were not happy about the TDC hours were passionate in their stance. To add to that, the TDC hours changing so often did not help.

“I feel like they should expand them more,” said Makenna Bourf, a communication studies from Indianapolis.

Wyatt Walls, a computer maintenance major from Sullivan, stated, “I don’t like being unable to eat after a long day of classes. It’s hard to do any work on an empty stomach, and I can’t afford to eat off-campus.”

Some students don’t like the hours because they are short.

“It sucks. I sleep through half of it,” said Kendra, a pre-dental hygiene major from Bremen, Indiana.

Several people expressed similar thoughts during the survey. Students who played sports made about half of the 30 percent of students affected by the TDC hours, and wanted a more stable and fitting schedule for the dining center. The other half were students whose schedules conflicted with the hours, causing them to miss out on an opportunity to eat. Most students were content with the TDC hours, although some days were tough to find time to eat.  Overall the TDC hours got a positive review.

The Trailblazer attempted to contact TDC representatives for comment on the hours, but did not receive a response.