Helping His Hands offers food drive

Kirsten Jansen

Volunteers help prepare food for pick up during the Helping His Hands food drive.

It’s easy to run out of food being a college student. Sometimes it’s difficult to make ends meet. Luckily at Vincennes University there is an organization called Helping His Hands that can help students out when it comes to these issues. 

Helping His Hands (HHH) is a disaster relief organization home based in Vincennes that started in 2011. HHH provided a food giveaway on VU campus on Tuesday Oct. 6. Starting Oct. 27 until Nov. 24, HHH will be having food giveaways every Tuesday 10 a.m. – noon and then 2:30- 4 p.m. to help out VU students. These food giveaways will be held in the parking lot of the Business Building.  

The food given to students is provided from different sources. HHH sometimes gets grants, they also get some food donated from Midwest Food, or from Catholic Charities in Terre Haute. If HHH doesn’t get many donations, then they resort to buying the food in bulk to get it discounted. 

Jason Burkhart, Chief and Operating Officer of HHH, says HHH is a base to base ministry that acts as a local food pantarty and depot that also works as a disaster relief. HHH does work around the country and they do more than just food drives. They help build ramps for the disabled, help families in need buy cars, and travel around to help when natural disasters occur. 

Burkhart’s favorite part about donating his time is the interactions with people. “I just enjoy helping people in need,” he said. Especially with it being a hard time in the world right now, people are extremely grateful for HHH donating resources and time into the community. 

HHH is located at 2011 Willow St Suite B, Vincennes, IN 47591 and they accept any volunteers. Burkard said, “Please help us and volunteer.” Volunteering is easy to sign up for and any type of help someone can provide can go a long way. 

Link to Helping His Hands website: https://www.helpinghishands.com/