Take A Break: Coffee Talk

Kir

Coffee drinks like the one pictured are very popular among college students.

For many people, students especially, it is very hard to get up in the morning at the crack of dawn for work or for class. Even on the weekends, it is hard to function before grabbing a cup of coffee. According to a coffee statistics web page called, “E-Imports”:

Over 50% of Americans over 18 years of age drink coffee every day. This represents over 150 million daily drinkers. 30 million American adults drink specialty coffee beverages daily; which include a mocha, latte, espresso, café mocha, cappuccino, frozen/iced coffee beverages…” 

There have been many speculations that say that coffee can be bad for the people who drink it. Though, there have been many studies done and there are various good facts and benefits that revolve around drinking a good cup of coffee. 

According to an article in a health newspaper, written by Kris Gunnars, coffee can improve your energy levels and can also make you smarter. 

“Coffee improves various aspects of brain functionㄧincluding memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times, and general mental functions,” Gunnars noted in his article. 

The caffeine that comes with coffee has been known to help burn unhealthy fat buildup in the body as well. 

“Studies indicate that caffeine can specifically increase fat burning by as much as 10 percent in obese individuals and 29 percent in lean people,” Gunnars mentioned. 

Coffee has become pretty popular amongst college students for years, and it’s not surprising why, with the hassle of keeping a busy schedule of staying on top of going to classes, doing school assignments, and even working jobs on top of that.   

Matthew Dildine, a criminal justice major from Griffith, Indiana, expressed his favorite places in town to get a cup of coffee: 

“I would say McDonald’s and Impressed are my favorite places to go in town. Honestly, I’m pretty simple. My favorite type of coffee is either iced or hot,” Dildine said. 

Reagan Johnson, an elementary education major at Indiana State University from Linton, Indiana, is hardly ever seen without a cup of coffee in her hands. 

“I like cold brew and hot lattes. I love to get my coffee from Dunkin’, but if I were to get something extra, like a pumpkin spice latte, I’d go to Starbucks, because their coffee is stronger,” Johnson expressed. 

With the many health benefits and good taste that coffee brings to the table, it’s no wonder why it’s half of America’s drink of choice to start their day.