First-year student shares advice on college life

Being at Vincennes has been a very interesting experience for me.

I have interacted with a plethora of different people who have very different backgrounds.

Working on The Trailblazer has introduced me to some amazingly different people.That’s one of the reasons as to why I think the best thing about being here is having the opportunity to write for our newspaper. Being able to go out and interview people and write stories was something that I had never done before I came here and it has been a really cool thing to do.

When I did my very first interview I was really nervous. But once I got halfway into asking the questions all of those nerves went away. After that interview I wasn’t afraid anymore.

The only thing that has affected me the most here at VU is being away from my family There hasn’t been a day that’s gone by that I haven’t texted or called my parents or my siblings. Being out here by myself has taught me how to be on my own as a young adult and how to be less dependent on my family.

Honestly, my first semester has been really stressful. I’m not used to being by myself but that was something I had to get used to.

At the beginning of the semester I would only leave my room to go to class and to go eat at TDC. But as it got further into the semester I would sometimes go to JSU (Jefferson Student Union) and go bowling or play foosball with a few classmates.

My advice for any new students is to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. I know that might not be something you want to do. I know because that was something I definitely didn’t want to do, but I feel like once you do that,  your experience here will be so much better.

Don’t be scared to try something new.