The cause of Vincennes University’s student meal plan shutdowns

For some time now students have lost access to their meal plans in consequence of having an outstanding balance on their account. However, some students are still bewildered when they are unable to get food from the dining center.

Although the housing agreement states multiple times that “failure to satisfy the financial obligations as listed in the Housing Contract… may result, at the sole option of the University, in the denial of further meals,” there is still much confusion about the meal plans being shut off.

Shouldn’t students know where this information can be found? How to get their meal plan back? And how to keep it from happening again? The Trailblazer asked a couple members of the administration these questions in an attempt to gain insight for the students. These professionals are not necessarily directly connected with this issue but did their best to provide answers to the questions asked of them.

The Trailblazer recently interviewed the director of housing and dean of students in search of this information.

Dawn Brewer, director of housing, said every housing contract and residence hall handbook states the quote above: that unsatisfied finances can result in the restriction of further meals from the dining center. It is also included in the housing information  given at Start VU.

When a student has outstanding dues on their account, Financial Services will send a warning email prior to shutting off the meal plan. This tells the student that their financial status has been changed, alerting them as a way of prompting action to rectify the situation. To regain access to the meal plan students should contact Financial Services and merely pay the required amount to resume eating at Tecumseh Dining Center.  

The best prevention of losing meal access is to keep up with the changes in one’s account and check any emails the financial office has sent.

“We need to stress the importance of getting their finances ready for college,” Brewer said.  “This might include making sure they have filed the FAFSA by the deadline, completed verification if requested, completing loan papers if needed and making sure they check their email for items Financial Services might need to prepare their aid package.”

Taja Davidson, dean of students, said she would not be opposed to seeing focus groups coming together to hear any alternative suggestions for getting students to pay their fees.

“That would be a great discussion…I was a student once so I know how it is,” she added.

If there are any questions about having a meal plan shut off, contact the financial services office at 812-888-5101.